Talking about family in Russian
In the previous lesson we have learned how to say “I have” in Russian. Today, we will use that formula to talk about family in Russian. We will also learn the Russian names of family members and other relatives and practice with a few examples.
мать – mother
ма́ма – mom
оте́ц – father
па́па – dad
брат – brother
сестра́ – sister
де́душка – grandfather
ба́бушка – grandmother
сын – son
дочь – daughter
де́ти – children
роди́тели – parents
дя́дя – uncle
тётя – aunt
племя́нник – nephew
племя́нница – niece
семья́ – family
ро́дственники – relatives
У меня́ больша́я семья́.
I have a big family.
У меня́ два ста́рших бра́та и мла́дшая сестра́.
I have two older brothers and a younger sister.
У тебя́ есть бра́тья или сёстры?
Do you have brothers or sisters? (informal)
У вас есть де́ти?
Do you have children? (formal)
У меня́ нет дете́й.
I don’t have children.
У меня́ сын и до́чь.
I have a son and a daughter.
У мое́й ма́мы две сестры́, так что у меня́ две тёти.
My mother has two sisters, so I have two aunts.
More lessons on Russian vocabulary
- The most important Russian words (#015)
- 'Hello' and 'How are you?' in Russian - Basic Russian greetings (#017)
- How to say GOODBYE in Russian (#021)
- Calling for help in Russian (#029)
- Talking about family in Russian (#037)
- Directions in Russian (right, left etc.) (#044)
- Describing health problems (#049)
- Wishes and congratulations (#055)
- Likes and dislikes (#065)
- "I speak Russian" in Russian and other useful phrases (#067)
- Thank you, please, you're welcome and other polite Russian phrases (#071)
- Seasons in Russian (#074)
- Russian love phrases (#076)
- Russian days of the week (#084)
- Days of the week - More examples (#085)
- Talking about the weather (#086)
- Internet vocabulary and phrases (#091)
- "My name is ..." in Russian (#092)
- How do you say that in Russian? (#101)
- Colors in Russian (#128)
- Useful phrases: pharmacy (#141)
- Meeting your in-laws (#143)
- Making friends in Russian (#145)
- New Year's dialogues (#149)
- Romantic Russian phrases (#150)
- Happy birthday in Russian, Russian birthday wishes (#155)
- Going to the movies (#156)
We need your support!