Russian verbs: Introduction - The Infinitive
The audio for the lesson is available at the bottom of the screen under the blue button.
Today we start learning the Russian verbs and cover the initial form of the verb – the infinitive.
All Russian verbs are divided into two groups according to the type of ending which they take in their conjugation. These groups are generally called the first and second conjugations.
The first conjugation of the Russian verbs
These verbs end in ТЬ (except ИТЬ) and ТИ. For example:
быть [byt’] – to be
знать [znat’] – to know
де́лать [dyé-lat’] – to do
идти́ [eed-tée] – to go
The second conjugation of Russian verbs
These verbs end in ИТЬ plus some exceptions. For example:
проси́ть [pra-séet’] – to ask
говори́ть [ga-va-réet’] – to speak
держа́ть [deer-zhát’] – to hold
There is a number of exceptions in this system.
For example, the verbs:
– бежа́ть [bee-zhát’] – to run
– хоте́ть [ha-tyét’] – to want
belong to the ‘mixed’ type of conjugation.
There is also a number of irregular verbs the conjugation of which doesn’t follow the common rules. These verbs need to be memorized.
Practice the examples of this lesson with the audio recording (at the bottom of the screen under the blue button).
Make sure you’ve memorized the conjugation types as you will need them in the following lessons.
Follow the links below to continue learning about the Russian verbs.
More lessons on the Russian verbs
- 011: The verb "to be" in Russian
- 023: Russian verbs: Introduction - The Infinitive
- 024: The Present tense of the Russian verbs
- 028: Practice Russian Present Tense with questions
- 067: The Past tense of Russian verbs
- 068: Aspects of Russian verbs
- 069: Perfective and imperfective verbs - Practice
- 070: To go in Russian - Идти and ехать
- 073: Imperative mood (Command form) of Russian verbs
- 074: Commands for the 1st and 3d persons
- 095: Future tense with imperfective verbs
- 096: Future tense with perfective verbs
- 098: Past, Present, and Future of Russian verbs - Practice
- 099: Use of the verb 'быть' in the Past tense
- 113: Reflexive verbs
- 159: Russian verbs of motion (unprefixed)
- 160: Prefixed verbs of motion
- 161: Verbs of motion: practice
We need your support