Colors in Russian
This lesson is about Russian colors, i.e. names of colors in Russian. Some of them you might already know from our previous lessons, and some of them will be new for you.
Names of colors in Russian
бе́лый – white
жёлтый – yellow
ора́нжевый – orange
кра́сный – red
ро́зовый – pink
зелёный – green
си́ний – dark blue
голубо́й – blue
фиоле́товый – purple
кори́чневый – brown
чёрный – black
Practice Russian colors with examples
All these words are adjectives and, as you already know, the adjectives take the gender, number and case of the subject they describe. Let’s practice to use the colors in Russian with different nouns.
Я люблю́ бе́лые ро́зы.
I love white roses. (plural, Accusative)
У него́ се́рые глаза́.
He has gray eyes. (plural, Accusative)
К до́му подъе́хала кра́сная маши́на.
A red car drove up to the house. (feminine, Nominative)
Э́тот кот – бе́лый.
This cat is white. (masculine, Nominative)
К э́тому пла́тью подойду́т чёрные ту́фли.
The black shoes will suit well to this dress. (plural, Nominative)
How to ask “What color is something?”
In order to ask “What color is something?” start your phrase with Како́го цве́та …?.
Pay attention that the word цвет (color) here comes in the Genitive case – цве́та – so the names of the colors that come along with it must be used in the Genitive case as well.
Како́го цве́та её пла́тье?
Оно́ кра́сное. Её пла́тье кра́сного цве́та.
What color is her dress?
It’s red. Her dress is red (of red color).
Како́го цве́та у неё глаза́?
Они́ зелёные. Её глаза́ зелёного цве́та.
What color are her eyes?
They are green. Her eyes are green (of green color).
Како́го цве́та не́бо?
Голубо́го. Не́бо голубо́е.
What color is the sky?
Blue. The sky is blue.
This is it for this lesson. Practice Russian colors and examples with the audio track.
More lessons on Russian vocabulary
- The most important Russian words
- Hello! and How are you? in Russian
- Goodbye in Russian
- Thank you, please, and you're welcome in Russian
- "I speak Russian" in Russian and other useful phrases
- Calling for help in Russian
- My name is ... in Russian
- Seasons in Russian
- Congratulations in Russian
- Talking about health in Russian
- Meeting your Russian in-laws
- Making friends in Russian
- Talking about family in Russian
- Talking about the weather
- Internet vocabulary and phrases
- Colors in Russian
- Visiting a pharmacy
- Directions in Russian
- New Year's dialogues
- Happy birthday in Russian, Russian birthday wishes
- Going to the movies
- I love you in Russian and other romantic phrases
- Russian terms of endearment
- Professions in Russian
- Hotel dialogues in Russian
- Visiting a doctor